As quick of background knowledge I can do….
My dog is 7 years old, when he was 3 he had a problem holding urine. Took him in and scans showed a mass (didn’t know what at the time) pushing his bladder and all other organs. Almost lost him that night when it turns out the mass was his spleen and it ruptured right there at the vet’s office. The vet saved him and removed his visibly cancer ridden, 10 pound spleen. (He’s a lab/blue heeler). He survived the cancer and is now in remission.
Following that he ended up getting diagnosed with ulcerative colitis two years ago and he has continued to have flare ups. He is currently on the highes dose and the most frequency of medication to control that.
And finally about two months ago he we in for his annual checkup and all was good. Less than a month later I took him back in because he had a mass growing on his side. In less than a month it went from nothing to almost the size of my hand. The vet decided to remove it because of the location and it would have effected his mobility, but he was also concerned with how fast it grew. It was benign, but almost double the size we thought with plenty of veins.
The current issue is my dog now has a mass on his back, just off his spine. It doesn’t seem to be hurting him, but it’s definitely there. It doesn’t really seem to move much and it doesn’t really have a clear beginning and end when I feel it.
I don’t want to take him back in if this is going to be nothing. As you can imagine I have spent a lot on his health the past four years, and I would do it again. But at the same time, after this last surgery I got the feeling from him that he is wanting to be done with these procedures. Even when he was split open from his spleen he just loved the attention; this time he stayed in the closet I converted into his room. He didn’t want to move much and seemed to careless about the cuddles. But I don’t want him to suffer if there is something I can do.
I’m just not sure what the right thing to do is……