I write this with a very heavy heart. One of my professional colleagues - although I never knew him personally - has just been struck off by our regulator, the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS). And the biggest tragedy of all is that I think they were absolutely right to do so. It is profoundly distressing that a vet could make such a massive error and not realise that what he had done was wrong - we all make mistakes, but not accepting and learning from them is the cardinal sin in our profession. In this blog, I want to look at what he did, why he shouldn’t have done it, and what the ramifications are for us as vets and as pet owners. Just so you’re aware, this blog will go into details which some pet owners may find unpleasant, but which we know others will want to know about, so as to understand all the things that may happen.