Home Forums Dogs 10 y old Shih Tzu has cyst (which isn’t bothering her) is it best to remove it?

10 y old Shih Tzu has cyst (which isn't bothering her) is it best to remove it?

Published on: July 27, 2022 • By: HilDog · In Forum: Dogs
Author
Topic
HilDog
Participant
July 27, 2022 at 12:31pm
Hi, my ten year old (female & neutered) Shih Tzu has a small (7mm) cyst (base of her tail - top side). She is insured and the vet wants to remove it straight away. So it doesn't burst in the future. It is a chain vet surgery and I just wanted to double check the operation is in her best interest. I hope it doesn't matter that the vets surgery is now part of a chain and the advised treatment plan isn't target lead. The cyst does NOT bother her (the dog). We took her to the vet as we wanted to check it wasn't cancer. We noticed it while grooming her. There is mixed advise online, so I wanted to ask other people's opinion. I realise you can't give individual medical advise - without examining her in person. However, I wondered if vets always advise to have the cyst removed? Or, only if it bothers the pet? I just want the best for my dog and due to her age, breed (the vet said her heart was fine) but all operations carry a risk and I want to make an informed decision on her behalf.   Thank-you very much in advance for reading my question and any advise you can offer. Hilary    
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Keymaster
July 30, 2022 at 05:59pm
Hi As a commited small animal locum for the larger part of ten years, I worked for a mixture of private and chain practises and have seen 'good' and 'bad' examples of both, but 90% good from a patient perspective.  I didn't find that being a chain vets affected the standard of care animals were getting;  in larger organisations, such as the more established chains, incredible networks were available for younger or less experienced vets to get advice in any area.   Vets are busy people and there is always another case coming through the door;  especially in the current climate we would not unnecessarily add to our caseload, but rather genuinely do the best for the case in front of us.  I have never been offered money for increasing clinical sales: as far as I understand it,  work on commission is actually outlawed by the RCVS code / the law.
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Keymaster
July 30, 2022 at 06:10pm
I don't always advise cyst removal.  It depends on a combination of factors: how old the dog is,  whether I thought cancer was likely to be present, what was likely to be happen to the cyst (getting caught / putting pressure on other body parts) as it grew and therefore whether it merited removal.   As a vet, I would be perfectly happy for a client to very bluntly ask me to explain the pro's and con-s of a situation (eg what will happen if we remove it?  What is likely to happen if we leave it there?) and am all about client choice, and rarely mind what decision an owner comes to for their dog, as long as welfare is not compromised and they are making an informed choice.
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Keymaster
July 30, 2022 at 06:13pm
It is really positive that you are asking these questions and please, do not be afraid to ask them of the vet who has felt this cyst and knows your dogs' case.   If we are employees, we have nothing to gain financially, personally, either way.
Author
Replies
HilDog
Participant
August 03, 2022 at 07:04pm
Hi, thank you very much for your replies. Why I was worried in regard to a chain vet was a bad experience in the past when a beloved pet was being put down (after a full day of tests). Yes, the visit was expensive as one would expect from professional medical treatment. However, in my lay person opinion, judging from how he looked when we were with him when he was being put down, I personally think it would of been in his best interest to end his suffering hours earlier. But, that is my biased opinion. However, I saw the 'Target Board' in the back and the notes on it. I don't want to say anyone more as it's an upsetting memory and unnecessary.   Why I was worried, was during the consultation the vet was very interested in - if the dog was insured and policy details etc. Which seemed odd. Like human medical care in the USA. I wondered if there would of been a different advised treatment plan if the dog wasn't insured. Please remember I'm biased from a personal traumatic experience. I genuinely hope I didn't offend you.   After speaking to other pet owners (out and about) I don't think we want to go ahead with the surgery as the superficial lump (the vet called it superficial in their quote) is not bothering the dog and the other pet owners with similar age small dogs have mentioned (in their opinion) their dog's are still not 100% along time after similar operation. They thought the operations took a lot out of the dogs.   Thanks again for your replies.  
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new threads, or access some of the forums

Register

Registration confirmation will be emailed to you

By joining the Forum, I agree that I am aged over 18 and that I will abide by the Community Guidelines and the Terms

Or

Report a Thread or Reply

Thank you for your help. A member of our team will investigate this further.

Back to forum