Home Forums Dogs 5 mo puppy lost tooth

5 mo puppy lost tooth

Published on: January 09, 2022 • By: shannonburd · In Forum: Dogs
Author
Topic
shannonburd
Participant
January 09, 2022 at 07:45pm
Question for vets/techs:   I have a 6mo husky and while playing he hit his mouth on the table. I didn’t notice at first because he seemed unphased, but I noticed he knocked out a tooth. I’m not sure if it was an adult tooth and need to see a vet or if it was still a puppy tooth? I included pics of the affected and unaffected side. Thanks!IMG_3344663444935
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Keymaster
January 09, 2022 at 09:02pm
Hello!  There looks to be a premolar missing here and 5 months is about the right age for the 'adult' premolars to start to grow.   I would expect it to be quite difficult to knock out a healthy adult premolar cleanly in a young dog (you should see the process of extracting such a tooth in the theatre) so would tend to conclude that a baby tooth has probably been lost.  However, I cannot fully inspect the cavity from here so if there is any doubt at all, let your vet or vet nurse perform a quick check.   Dental checks with a nurse in particular can be surprisingly inexpensive.  Best of luck!
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new threads, or access some of the forums

Register

Registration confirmation will be emailed to you

By joining the Forum, I agree that I am aged over 18 and that I will abide by the Community Guidelines and the Terms

Or

Report a Thread or Reply

Thank you for your help. A member of our team will investigate this further.

Back to forum