Our cats, aged 8 went into a cattery last week.
One of them is diabetic, diagnosed in March, and had been on caninsulin twice a day since then. She was doing fine.
On picking them up from the cattery on Thursday afternoon diabetic cat would not eat. I put it down to stress and didnt inject.
We believe she had received all injections at the cattery, but do not know how well she was eating, or how long she had been off her food.
On Friday morning she still wouldnt eat so missed her 2nd injection and we called the vets and got an early appointment. There were two piles of vomit, mostly liquid, from overnight although we can't be 100% certain both were hers.
Normal vet wasnt in and we had a very young new vet, on his third day at this job, although of course fully qualified.
Temp was 39.9°. Vet wanted to do expensive inhouse tests, £1,200 to start with further costs for treatment dependent on outcome, around £5,000 if it was ketoacidosis. Turnaround time for testing a couple of hours.
We asked for tests that get sent away and cost less but take a few days to come back. He was reluctant, felt she needed a quicker result.
We suggested taking her home to see if she began to eat over the weekend and he was reluctant there too. He felt with the not eating, the high temperature and the diabetes she needed immediate testing and treatment.
Alternative was to put her to sleep and that's what ended up happening. We felt under pressure and upset and were not thinking straight. The costs of immediate testing and treatment were too high for us, but I feel terrible we didnt even have her home for 24 hours before taking this decision. The stress of the cattery must surely have had an impact.
I wish we could have seen the normal, experienced vet who has a much calmer manner.
My question is, would a more experienced vet have suggested anything different, i.e. take her home for another day and try and get her to eat, or would they have had the same concerns as the very junior vet based on these circumstances?
I'm not trying to apportion blame, just find a way to come to terms with what happened.
Coat was fine, nose wet, affectionate and moving, but slightly lethargic. She was drinking water, but not eating at all, even when we tried to hand feed favourite foods.