Home Forums Puppies 12 week old with horrible smelling farts

12 week old with horrible smelling farts

Published on: September 11, 2023 • By: ayyitsnovember · In Forum: Puppies
Author
Topic
ayyitsnovember
Participant
September 11, 2023 at 10:49pm
My puppy farts at least once every 5 minutes and they smell so bad. Is this concerning?
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Keymaster
September 14, 2023 at 01:26am
Hello - this can indeed be concerning for the patient, because it implies that a lot of gas is either being swallowed or released in the bowels, which can this become uncomfortable.  Irregular bacterial loads / large amounts of plant matter / eating feaces has been thought to cause this, for example.  In extremis and particularly in some shapes of abdomen, large amounts of gas in the bowels can reflect or contribute to crises, from severe diarrhoea or hindgut pain to twisted guts.   Therefore, it is worth chatting to your vet.  Improving matters may be as simple as paying attention to the diet or worming.  However, particularly if ongoing, lumps and bumps within the guts, liver diseases and so on may be possibilities.
Author
Replies
RonanCaldwell
Participant
April 24, 2024 at 09:49pm
Hey there, Having a puppy with stinky farts can definitely be concerning, especially if it's happening frequently. While occasional flatulence is normal for dogs, excessive gas accompanied by a foul smell could indicate an underlying issue. One possibility is dietary indiscretion, meaning your puppy may have eaten something that doesn't agree with their stomach. It could be a new treat, table scraps, or even a change in their regular food. Another potential cause could be gastrointestinal issues like food allergies, intolerances, or digestive problems. Before jumping to conclusions, it's a good idea to assess your puppy's diet and any recent changes. Consider switching to a high-quality, easily digestible puppy food recommended by your vet. You can also try feeding smaller, more frequent meals to help with digestion. In the meantime, ensure your puppy stays hydrated and gets plenty of exercise. And don't worry too much—puppy farts can be smelly, but they're usually nothing serious. Just keep an eye on your furry friend and reach out to your vet if you have any concerns.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new threads, or access some of the forums

Register

Registration confirmation will be emailed to you

By joining the Forum, I agree that I am aged over 18 and that I will abide by the Community Guidelines and the Terms

Or

Report a Thread or Reply

Thank you for your help. A member of our team will investigate this further.

Back to forum