Home Forums Dogs 15 year old dog stopped eating, behavior changed

15 year old dog stopped eating, behavior changed

Published on: March 05, 2023 • By: hollyosburn · In Forum: Dogs
Author
Topic
hollyosburn
Participant
March 05, 2023 at 04:31pm
We have a 15 year old mixed breed dog (60 pounds) who just this morning refused breakfast.  She ate her dinner last night just fine.  She does have a history of eating paper,  cardboard, etc., but we are unaware of her getting into anything.  She did eat some warmed up chicken noodle soup, but didn’t finish what was put in her dish.  She is drinking water, but does not want to move around.  We were able to take her outside briefly and she is still urinating.  Hasn’t pooped yet, so we may try taking her for a short walk if she seems able to do so.  I’m afraid that this is likely a sign of either liver or kidney issues or simply that she’s so old that our time with her may be running out.  We love her so much.  We are going to take her to the emergency vet this afternoon if this continues.  I guess I’m posting this to ask if an older dog can suddenly in one day just succumb to old-age related organ failure?  She is up to date on all vaccines, lives indoors, is constantly doted on.  We are just so scared.
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Keymaster
March 05, 2023 at 04:44pm
Hello and sending hugs - it sounds like a rough time for all of you.  I also wonder about liver, kidneys and the pancreas;  pain alone can do this, so arthritis may be on the list, also things like tumours, occasionally emergencies such as lethargy from an internal bleed (usually tumour related at this age).  Im glad that you are intending on seeing the vet - and please note that these symptoms can be an emergency, so this may be today.  If you ask for phone triage, that will help.
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Keymaster
March 05, 2023 at 04:51pm
The short-term worry is that if she isnt taking fluid in, she may become dehydrated and increasingly ill;  the longer term worry is what caused the decline and whether it is getting worse / can be treated.   I wrote an old blog about 'how do we know when it is time / put to sleep' which some people find helpful, although it may not be that time yet and the terminology is old;  your vet will be able to examine her and decide what to do. Thinking of you both and I hope that something there helps.  Please do let us know what happens next, but only if it feels ok / right.  
Author
Replies
hollyosburn
Participant
March 05, 2023 at 07:02pm
Thank you.  My kids and I have conferred and we think she is probably 13-14 years old.  We are going to the emergency vet in about an hour.  Given her revised age, I’m feeling a little more hopeful that she may have some comfortable time left with us.  This is a picture of our amazing Abby.  She came to us through a rescue 11 years ago.  64453841-6CC2-45FA-AB1A-E9F9D4CDE369
Author
Replies
hollyosburn
Participant
March 05, 2023 at 07:05pm
Here is Abby today.  We have two Beagle rescues as well, they are both watching her closely.  We are not giving up hope!AB6D70FB-797F-4657-8B01-7D1604482610
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new threads, or access some of the forums

Register

Registration confirmation will be emailed to you

By joining the Forum, I agree that I am aged over 18 and that I will abide by the Community Guidelines and the Terms

Or

Report a Thread or Reply

Thank you for your help. A member of our team will investigate this further.

Back to forum