Home Forums Dogs Dog not drinking.

Dog not drinking.

Published on: April 03, 2021 • By: shannan01 · In Forum: Dogs
Author
Topic
shannan01
Participant
April 03, 2021 at 11:09pm
Hi vets, My 11 year old dog ate a large amount of salt on the 24th March. He was admitted for the day on a drip and was allowed home that night because his sodium/chloride levels have returned to normal after being off the scales. Well since he came home he hasn't drank. We have been giving him wet food with added water.  Wednesday (31st march) he was readmitted for dehydration and spent the day on a drip again. His bloods test on kidneys and pancreas came back normal. The only thing they noticed was blood in his urine so is on a week course of antibiotics for potential cystitis. Since being home he still isn't interested in drinking still. Is it likely that the salt poisioning caused cystitis or the lack of drinking thats caused it? The past two nights his hackle has been up and has a hunched back, mostly after going outside for the toilet but sometimes when he stands up. Any idea on what could be causing this. Thanks in advance
Report
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Moderator
April 04, 2021 at 02:28am
Hello!   This sounds like a complex case.  Salt toxicity is difficult to treat as the speed of correcting the salt imbalance is important - it needs to be done in carefully calculated increments. It sounds as though it's worth getting the vets or even their emergency counterparts, to review the signs that you describe in order to check that they are happy.  Changes in salt concentration will affect a dogs' thirst quite considerably, as will the administration of fluids (high salt concentration leads to excessive drinking, for example), and it's worth making sure that the vets or their emergency counterparts are aware of the changes you are seeing when you see them, in order that they can intervene in a timely way if they need to.
Report
Author
Replies
shannan01
Participant
April 04, 2021 at 08:36pm
Thank you so much for replying its really appreciated. He has a small drink tonight and straight after his hackle was up with a hunched back. This also happened after he had his wet food. We will ring his vets in the morning.
Report
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Moderator
April 04, 2021 at 09:11pm
Again, with salt toxicities it can be important to trouble the emergency vet if you have concerns.  All the best and please do let us know how you get on.
Report
Author
Replies
shannan01
Participant
April 08, 2021 at 08:27pm
Well after 3 more blood test today he has been diagnosed with pancreatitis. We are keeping him on the same wet food as the fat content is only 3.5%. He is also being put on more antibiotics and hopefully he starts to recover. Thank you so much for your advice.
Report
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Moderator
April 10, 2021 at 02:54am
Hello - I'm sorry to hear about pancreatitis but it sounds very positive that there's already a treatment plan in place.  Is the salt balance back under control now?  Best of luck and once again, please keep us posted.
Report
Author
Replies
shannan01
Participant
April 30, 2021 at 11:15pm
He was given chicken water from the vets in the hope he would start drinking again but he didn't. we had a morning urine sample checked last week and he has been put on antibiotics as there may be some bacteria and it is really dilute considering it was his first one of the day. His kidney levels are within normal range which is good. We are still treating the  pancreatitis but hoping we can get him better soon. We have switched meds now in hope they work better. Will update this thread when he next gets seen in a weeks time.
Report
Author
Replies
shannan01
Participant
May 14, 2021 at 08:15pm
Well we still aren't seeing an improvement with his pancreatitis. He has been on pardale which wasn't controlling his pain. We've made the decision to try gabapentin along side pardale V. If he doesn't improve then we have a heartbreaking decision to make. Will keep you updated.
Report
Author
Replies
Liz Buchanan BVSc MRCVS
Moderator
May 15, 2021 at 12:12am
I am sorry to hear this.  Thinking of you and wishing you and him the best of luck
Report
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new threads, or access some of the forums

Log In
Register

Registration confirmation will be emailed to you

By joining the Forum, I agree that I am aged over 18 and that I will abide by the Community Guidelines and the Terms

Or

Report a Thread or Reply

Thank you for your help. A member of our team will investigate this further.

Back to forum