Hi, I have a Pomsky (Pomeranian/husky) named Luna and she is 21 months old. She has recently been acting very strangely by constantly gagging/gulping with hiccups. This started around 11pm before bed and it is currently 5am and still going. They can happen 20-50 times every 15 minutes with a 1-5 second gap between each hiccup. She is trying to sleep but keeps waking up with it interrupting her. She has had normal hiccups in the past so I know what is happening is not just hiccups as it sounds like she is going to vomit at times.
- hiccups/gagging session every 15 minutes with 20-50 hiccups that have a 1-5 second gap between each hiccup.
- Dry heaving towards the end of each session.
- Licking her nose (not as often now)
- Unsettled (unbothered by it but can tell it annoys her as she keeps moving about to get comfortable)
- very smelly farts (although she is known for doing these so might not be related).
I know about reverse sneezing which seems to be different as they usually make a weird/loud snorting sound but still tried blocking one nostril whilst keeping her mouth closed for 5 seconds and similar things but no luck.
I have given her some treats and got her to drink some water whist outside in fresh air but also no luck. She ate her dinner fine, the same meat she has everyday at 5pm.
She was not with me for a couple of hours whilst in the house before coming up to bed so wondering if she could have swallowed something as she is know for finding things to chew. I have tried massaging her throat for this and she doesn’t react (if anything, enjoys it).
I’ve seen someone else say it could be some sort of acid reflex which would make sense I think. I don’t have the right medication for this though so I need to know if we need to take her to the vets urgently this morning or just keep an eye on her.
Thanks for your help in advance.