It’s fair to say that 2020 is a year that most of us won’t forget in a hurry.
Like most businesses, vet practices have had to adapt to a new way of working. This has brought new challenges, both to vets and pet owners. As we head into spring, a season of change, we’re delighted to be able to announce the Best UK Vets for 2021.
Continuing the theme of change, the awards were presented in an online ceremony last night. Watched by an eager audience of veterinary professionals and practice owners, the top honours were handed out to our biggest group of winners yet.
Table of contents
With new categories and a record number of reviews, the 2021 Best UK Vet Awards were the most competitive to date, Testament to the standard of care provided by practices throughout the country, despite the continued difficulties.
And the Winner is…
Taking the top prize is Cockburn Veterinary Group of Coalville – Best UK Vet 2021, congratulations! Following the announcement, Diane Storer accepted the award for Cockburn;
“I want to say a huge thank you and a massive congratulations to my amazing team. It makes me so proud that in this very difficult year, which has been defined by COVID 19 pandemic. We’ve had so many positive reviews from our clients, they’re a testament to my team’s hard work and dedication to the care of all our patients, so well done. ladies generally and gentleman. Thank you also to all of those clients who took the time to leave a review”.
The awards don’t stop there. Millennium Veterinary Practice in Braintree came a close second, and collected the best practice in Essex. In third place, with the bronze award were Streatham Hill Veterinary Surgery, taking the top vet in London too.
Competition was fierce everywhere, including in our new category – best in county. Here’s a full rundown of our winners from last night;
Best Vets in County
- Antrim – Ashwood Veterinary Clinic
- Bedfordshire – Scott Veterinary Clinic, Bedford
- Berkshire – The Coach House Veterinary Surgeons – Burlyns Surgery
- Buckinghamshire – Windmill Veterinary Centre – Winslow
- Cambridgeshire – Cambridge Veterinary Group
- Cheshire – Willows Veterinary Hospital – Willows Vet Group
- Cumbria – Bay Vets, Milnthorpe
- Derbyshire – Bright Side Vets
- Devon – Mercury Vets
- East Sussex – Henley House Veterinary Clinic
- Essex – Millennium Veterinary Practice – Braintree
- Flintshire – Grange Veterinary Hospital – Mold
- Gloucestershire – Avenue Veterinary Centre Ltd
- Hampshire – Heathside Veterinary Surgery
- Isle of Man – Strand Veterinary Practice
- Lancashire – Manchester Vet Centre – Willows Vet Group
- Leicestershire – Cockburn Veterinary Group
- London – Streatham Hill Veterinary Surgery
- Merseyside – Acorn Veterinary Surgery – Willows Vet Group
- Middlesex – Young Veterinary Partnership – Hounslow Surgery
- Midlothian – Market Cross Veterinary Clinic
- Norfolk – Vets 1 Group
- Northamptonshire – easipetcare Kettering
- Oxfordshire – Hook Norton Veterinary Group
- Powys – Hay Veterinary Group – Hay On Wye
- Shropshire – Bridgnorth Veterinary Centre
- Somerset – Watkins & Tasker Vets – Portishead
- Staffordshire – Charter Vets – Newcastle – Willows Vet Group
- Suffolk – Bury St Edmunds Veterinary Centre
- Surrey – Croydon Veterinary Surgery
- West Midlands – Willows Veterinary Centre & Referral Service 24/7
- West Sussex – The Mewes Veterinary Clinic
- West Yorkshire – White Cross Vets, Guiseley
- Wiltshire – Manor Farm Vets
- Worcestershire – Clent Hills Vets – Bromsgrove
Nothing in your county? We’ll explain why a little later.
Continuing the awards, we move into the specialist categories. Again, with stiff competition each one was closely fought, and you’ll see a few familiar names from the counties list too.
Best in Category
- Best Equine – Ashbrook Equine Hospital
- Best Mobile – Mercury Vets
- Best Small Practice – The Firs Veterinary Surgery – Willows Vet Group
- Best Referral – Willows Veterinary Centre & Referral Service 24/7
- Best Start-up – Bury St Edmunds Veterinary Centre
- Best in Scotland – Market Cross Veterinary Clinic
- Best in Northern Ireland – Ashwood Veterinary Clinic
- Best in Wales – Hay Veterinary Group – Hay On Wye
Before getting to the podium celebrations, we also want to recognise those practices that finished inside the Top 25 and haven’t already been mentioned. These are;
Top 25 Practices
- Top 25 – Beech House Veterinary Centre – Willows Vet Group
- Top 25 – Lymm Veterinary Surgery – Willows Vet Group
- Top 25 – The Animal Clinic
- Top 25 – Watkins & Tasker Veterinary Group – Nailsea
- Top 25 – Watkins & Tasker Veterinary Group – Yatton
- Top 25 – Winsford Surgery – Willows Vet Group
No mean feat, with over 1,600 practices listed on VetHelpDirect.
Now, for the top 3.
Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards
- Bronze Award – Streatham Hill Veterinary Surgery
- Silver Award – Millennium Veterinary Practice – Braintree
- Gold Award and Best UK Vet 2021 – Cockburn Veterinary Group
Congratulations to Cockburn and all of our award winners. Thank you also to our sponsors for this year’s awards, Elanco. For the ceremony, we’d also like to thank our guest speakers and presenters. Including Rupert Bridges from Elanco, who presented the Best in County awards. David Crane from the Willows Veterinary Group and Claire Simper from our sister company VetsDigital. As well as Mark Picton from Avenue Vets in Bristol for his show-stopping (literally) celebration.
How are the awards decided?
All of our awards are based on customer reviews. Every 4 or 5 star review is effectively a vote. Over the course of 12 months, these are counted and our winners are chosen.
Ultimately, the best judges of a vet practice are the clients that bring their pets. Our users rate their vet on professionalism, value, cleanliness, friendliness and respect, with additional feedback. Last year, over 14,000 of these testimonials were received, moderated and applied to practices throughout the UK.
The only stipulation is that award winners must receive at least 25 during the year.
That’s it for another year
With Cockburn taking the top honours, that wraps up another Best UK Vet Awards.
If you’re a vet practice owner and want a shot at the 2022 crown, contact us to sign up or find out how to engage your clients. Our team is always happy to help. In accepting the top award, Diane probably said it better than we could;
“As a small family-owned independent vet, feedback is incredibly important to us, and we’re really grateful for all of their reviews. Working with Susie, Kim and Tracy, and all the team at VetHelpDirect over the past few years has been wonderful. Their advice in managing our online reputation has been immensely helpful, and I would encourage everyone to work with them, it really has been a positive experience”
If you’re a pet owner and have had a great experience with your vet recently, why not leave them a review? Just search the directory, find your vet and review away. As part of our moderation, we do ask that you’ve visited in the last 90 days; but you never know, your review could help them win gold in 12 months’ time.
Finally, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to review their vets. Not all of them are 4 or 5 stars of course, but all constructive feedback is welcome.